Brokenhearted in Bakersfield

 

23 - ALL FOR A WORTHY CAUSE

With a newfound spring in my limp, a spare beer in my pocket, and an entrepreneurial determination, I headed out of Broken Heart Park and off to the nearby public housing complex.  Of course, after about an hour in the hot sun my shamble became a sideways shuffle, what with my recent injury and all.  (For the life of me, I still can’t figure out how I ended up with that inserted table leg.  Just another one of life’s mysteries or practical jokes.)

With great relief I finally arrived at my destination:  the “I HAD A DREAM” housing project.  Soaked in sweat, I tenderly slumped myself under a newly planted tree with sparse young foliage.  What looked like a hundred freshly painted buildings was stretched out before me with cool patches of green grass and pretty flowers by the side of each door.  Off beyond the parking lot children cavorted on swings and hung on Jungle Jims and climbed up to the top of the slide and cut loose with excited shouts of joy.  A few mothers was around to keep an eye on all the goings-on.

But I hadn’t come here to examine the conditions of grinding poverty; I was here on a mission.  Scientific advances might depend on my noble efforts, even if these exertions was underwritten by a profit motive.  Before anyone could notice, I silently moved around back one of the pastel colored buildings and started going through every dumpster in the vicinity.  I called out:  “Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.  Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.  C’mon, kitty, kitty, kitty, dammit.”

After about an hour I struck paydirt.  I found me a half dozen little fur balls all curled up behind the very last dumpster.  “Come on now,” I tried to encourage ‘em.  “You wanna go play lab partner with Uncle Owen?”

I gathered up the tiny kitties in an old cardboard box, all hissing and scratching real cute, and headed back to collect my bounty.  To save time I decided to take the shortcut through the parking lot near the Burger Prep auxiliary campus.  I wasn’t halfway through the mall when this lady stepped out from behind a parked Pontiac and blocked my path.

“Oooooooooohhh!” she squealed right in my face.  “Let me see the little darlings.”

I tilted down the box so she could peek in.

“Wooo-wooo-woooooo!  Wooo-wooo-wooooo!  Can I pick up a little puss-puss?”  Without waiting for my consent, the lady reached right into my box and scooped up a handful of fuzzy profit margins.

I was getting impatient now.  “Yeah, yeah, you wanna put the little fellers down, ma’am?  We ain’t got all day for you to be playing around with my beer money, so just put all the kittens back in the box and no one gets hurt.”

“What?”  She got real indignant.  “Where are you going with these innocent darlings?”
 
“Not like it’s any of your business,” I answered back, “but if you must know, I’m in business to help a friend of mine who’s pursuing a career in medical science.  And he pays me five bucks per feral feline.”

Well, let’s just say that two minutes later I had $60.79 burning a hole in my pocket, and that lady got herself a box full of lab equipment.

I hustled back to that complex faster than suds hit lips on a Saturday night.  It took me another hour or so, but off under a utility shed behind the playground I finally heard the mewing music I come looking for.  Flat on my belly, I stretched and reached into the small crawlspace under the shed.  There was hissing and scratching and no small amount of biting as my hand grabbed around for kitties, but it was well worth it.  I got eight, total.

But this time I handwrote on the side of the box: 
B O U N D  F OR  V I V I S E C T I ON

Let’s just say that after a couple of hours and a few overly offended smacks to the back of my head, I’d moved enough merchandise to pay my back rent to Ferris and Rosa, and get me a six-pack fortified with Nyquil shooters.  Mission: Accomplished.

If I’d known science was so lucrative my studies in pharmaceuticals would've taken a totally different turn.

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction~

Brokenhearted in Bakersfield

Brokenhearted in Bakersfield