Brokenhearted in Bakersfield

 

12 - I SAW THE LIGHTS

Down here at Broken Heart Park most of us have a little loose change jingling around in our pockets, and the pump still works, and the last time I checked our electricity was still turned on.  Throw in a beer, and how bad could things be?  I felt my mood improving, or maybe it was my hangover was abating.

Anyway, that got me nostalgic and reminiscing about past times in Bakersfield.  I may not be as old as I look, but I remember the Boozie Coop liquor outlet, our local Stiffies Hardware and the Buff-My-Machine Hot Wax Shoppe.  And I’ll never forget that famous radio jingle for Strafer’s Aerial Spray crop dusters:

“Cover your face! Cover your face!
Strafer’s is spraying the whole damn place!”


How I miss the sweet odor of fruit fly gas on a warm spring evening.  On top of the pleasures of trailer court living near the urban metropolis of Bakersfield, we can also enjoy $1.50 showers, brotherly fellowship and a free dinner compliments of the folks at the Knightly Komfort Kamp only a half-mile down the road.  So to my way of thinking, maybe the good ol’ days ain’t over yet.

Sometimes you can’t appreciate what you have until you lose it, so I guess you could say I was still appreciating the loss of the hemp growing business I shared with Chet Baker and Hippie Mary.  It all started with a regular visit to our field of natural growing fibers.  For more than a month Chet and me had been strapping on six half-gallon water bottles and crawling through the sluice pipe that runs over to the hemp crop next to the ditch where the septic tank drains off.  Oh sure, we could have just run through the fields at night like south-of-the-border immigrants crossing the San Diego Freeway, but the chances of being spotted increase when you’re right out in the open like that.  Anyhow, Chet and me was busy carrying the water needed to supplement the compost runoff nourishing our plants, and we was almost to a corner of the ditch, when I saw strange lights ahead.  I stopped dead in the pipe.  Chet prodded me from behind, “Man, get moving,” he yelled at me.  “I don’t wanna be out all night just watering hemp plants.”

Like most damn idiots, Chet talked too damn loud for his own damn good.  Or mine.  I kicked back at his face with my boot and whispered a stern, “Shut up.  There’s someone out there.  I can see lights ahead.”  I kicked back again.  “Just back out real slow, and keep real quiet.”

We started edging in the opposite direction and was careful not to spill any water or get caught.  “Sorry about kicking you in the face and yelling at you back there,” I apologized to Chet good-naturedly after we got back to my trailer, “but I about peed my pants when I seen them lights.”  I advised Chet to go on home to his old lady and get his face bandaged, that I was determined to return to the scene of the crime and spy on whoever was skulking around the hemp crop.  Chet surprised me and cried he wanted to be a spy, too.  So I relented and told Chet he could come, but he’d have to be real quiet this time.  Then I opened my cooler and grabbed out a couple of cans of beer.  The first one I shook real hard and squirted Chet.

“Man, are you crazy or something?” he yelled.

“Listen,” I tried to reason with my clueless business partner, as I sprayed some beer on myself, “if whoever’s out there catches us spying on them, it’s gotta look and smell like we was just headed home from the bar, like nothing unusual was going on, like we wasn’t actually spies,” I gulped down some beer that hadn’t been sprayed.  “Here, take a swig off this,” I passed Chet the can and popped open a new one for myself.

After chugging the remainder of our beers we was off like drunken ninjas in the night.  We creeped across the interstate and down into the fields, moving silent and low under the cover of darkness, until we finally arrived at the sluice pipe and slithered our way through.  As we approached our crop we saw the Sheriff’s car.  The parked vehicle’s trunk was open, brimming with plastic garbage bags.

“Not a bad night’s haul, Perro,” the lanky lawman laughed.  “Not bad at all.  Boss is gonna be mighty pleased with our confiscation tonight.”

“Who do you think this shit belongs to, Sheriff?” the Deputy asked.

“Well,” Sheriff Al responded, “you could say we’ve got a whole lot of usual suspects just across the road, but the way I see it, possession is nine-tenths of the law, and around here, I’m the law, so I guess it now belongs to me.”

Sheriff Al slammed the trunk shut, “Let’s ride.”

While me and Chet remained hidden in silent witness, Sheriff Al and Deputy Perro climbed into their patrol car.  Suddenly, up from the interstate, came the roaring and grinding noise of a badly tuned engine being pushed beyond its capacity.  I turned in time to see one headlight coming straight at us, but before it could run us down there was some squealing of tires and a crumpling of metal, and as me and Chet hunkered in the narrow ditch we looked up just in time to see Owen Purty’s rusted heap fly’n over our heads like an orca on steroids at Ocean World.

Owen shot through the plastic wrap windshield in an ejection that had him sailing off into a rough landing somewhere down along the gravel side of the road, while his car just kept on rolling, rolling, rolling through the air until it landed smack dab in front of the Sheriff’s parked vehicle.

Chet and me raced back to the relative safety of Broken Heart Park.  No questions asked, and no answers given.

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction~

Brokenhearted in Bakersfield

Brokenhearted in Bakersfield